If you have left over chapathi at home,don’t throw it away.you can prepare easy and quick kothu chapathi with the leftover chapathi by adding egg and spices to it.This is a perfect lunch box recipe for kids as well as adults. For vegetarians,you can add vegetables like grated carrot,paneer and beans instead of egg.This recipe is adapted from “Magic Oven Pachaka Vidhikal” by Lakshmi Nair.
- Chapathi(cut lengthwise into small pieces) – 6
- Egg – 6
- Onion(chopped) – 2
- Tomato(chopped) –2
- Green Chilly –2
- Ginger(chopped) – 1” piece
- Garlic(chopped) –3
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Shallots – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Cloves – 5
- Cardamom pods – 4
- Red chilly powder –1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Maggi extra taste chicken powder(chicken masala powder) – 1 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and Scramble egg with salt and keep aside.
- Cut chapathi into lengthwise.
- Grind shallots,ginger,garlic,pepper powder into a coarse paste.Grind coarsely cloves,cinnamon and cardamom.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add cinnamon,clove,cardamom and saute.Once the aroma comes,add the paste,chopped tomatoes,red chilly powder and fry well.
- Add chopped onions and fry.once onion turns light brown in color,add scrambled egg ,Maggi chicken powder(I used chicken masala powder),chopped chapathi to it and mix well.Add chopped coriander leaves.Add salt if required.While making this for kids, you can avoid red chilly powder and chicken masala powder.
- Serve with Raita and Pickle.