Meen peera is a traditional dish prepared using small fish like Anchovies(kozhuva),Netholi or Smelt .It goes well with rice as side dish.
- Fish (Smelt or Anchovy) – 1/2 kg
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Green Chilly – 4
- Ginger – 1” piece
- Garlic – 3
- Shallots – 6
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Kudampuli(Gambooge)– 2
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash and clean the fish .Here I used smelt fish.
- Grind together grated coconut,shallots, ginger,garlic,green chilly,kudam puli,turmeric powder into a coarse paste.
- Heat 1/4 tsp coconut oil in a pan.Add the coconut mix, fish ,salt and 1 tbsp water to it .Stir well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Once fish is cooked well and the nice aroma of coconut comes, add the remaining coconut oil to it and mix well firmly. Take care not to break the fish pieces.
- Remove from Fire.
- Garnish with curry leaves.
- Serve with rice a s side dish.