- Mutton – 1/2 kg
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder –3 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1/2” piece
- Star anise –1
- Cardamom pods–7
- Fennel seeds/Perumjeerakam – 1 1/2 tsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Shallots – 1 cup
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 2tsp
- Poppy seeds/Kuskus – 1 tsp
- Tomato (chopped) –1
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan on medium flame. Dry roast ingredients numbered 2 to 9 till raw smell goes.don’t let it burn.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.sauté shallots till light brown.
- For the masala paste, take 2 shallots(sauteed) from the pan and grind along with the dry roasted mix , ginger-garlic paste,poppy seeds(soak in water for sometime and drain) into a fine paste.
- Once the shallots are light brown,add chopped tomato,curry leaves and saute well.Add the masala paste to it and mix well.
- Transfer the above masala mix into a pressure cooker.Add mutton pieces,required amount of water ,salt to it and mix well.
- Add vinegar to it.cover and cook for 3 –4 whistles till mutton is cooked well.
- Heat another pan and transfer the cooked mutton to it.Add curry leaves to it.Roast till all water is absorbed and dry.
- Mutton Perattu is ready to serve.
Recipe Source: Annies Kitchen(Amritha Tv)