Turai–Moong Daal Subji (Ridge Gourd-yellow gram Curry)
This is a nutritious,healthy and delicious curry prepared with moong daal and turai.Moong daal is easy to digest and it is rich in proteins and iron.Ridge gourd is also known as Luffa or Chinese okra.Ridge gourd juice is a good natural remedy for Jaundice.This recipe is adapted from Tarla Dalal’s low fat Indian recipe book “cooking with 1 teaspoon of oil”.The good thing about this recipe is that it uses only 1tsp of oil.This goes great with roti or chappathi.
- Ridge gourd (peeled and chopped) – 2 cups
- Moong daal(yellow) – 1/4 cup
- Onion(chopped finely)- 1/4 cup
- Ginger-green chilly paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves(chopped) – 2tbsps
- Clean and wash moong daal.
- In a pressure cooker, add moong daal,chopped onion, ridge gourd,ginger-green chilly paste and turmeric powder with 2 cups of water and cook for 2-3 whistles or until dal is cooked .
- Heat oil in a pan. add cumin seeds,asafoetida,chilly powder and gram masala and fry till the seeds crackle.
- Pour this tempering over the prepared dal.
- Add salt and simmer for 5- 7 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti.
Recipe Source:Tarla Dalal’s “cooking with 1 teaspoon of oil”