Chakkakuru-Padavalanga Thoran (Jackfruit seeds & Snake Gourd Thoran)
If Durian is the beloved fruit of Singaporeans, a look alike Jackfruit is a traditional and sweet fruit of Kerala. Jackfruit trees are abundant and very common in most backyards of Kerala home.
Recently while shopping at a grocery shop, I discovered a pack of Malaysian Jackfruit for around S$ 4 i.e approximately 130 Indian Rupees. I was shocked to see such a price tag for just 10-12 pieces in the pack whereas the whole jackfruit (an average size would contain more than 700-800 pieces) itself would cost less than Rs.10 (approximately 10 cents) in India. I know it is not fair to compare, but I couldn’t resist myself by doing so.
Anyway, I grabbed a pack and decided to give it a try. I was very much pleased with the quality of the pieces and I should say that it was worth the trial and we all liked its juiciness and honey like sweetness. Ever since then, my hubby never forgets to pick one 🙂
I noticed that all pieces had seeds inside which reminded me one of those rare traditional Kerala curries my mom used to make. I decided to customize it a little bit in combination with some additional vegetables to make it more unique. So, read on and give it a try and do let me know your experience 🙂
- Jackfruit Seeds (Chakkakuru) – 100gms
- Drumstick(Muringakka) – 3
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Snake Gourd (Padavalanga) – 100gms
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds (jeerakam) – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic(chopped) – 2
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 2
- Curry leaves
- Clean and cut jackfruit seeds lengthwise. Boil jackfruit seeds,drumsticks,with turmeric powder,salt and required amount of water.
- Once it is cooked, add snake gourd pieces and cook well.
- Grind grated coconut with cumin seeds,garlic,red chilly powder into a coarse paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. splutter mustard seeds.once it is done add dry red chilly, urad dal, curry leaves.and saute.
- Add coconut paste to it and stir well for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally add boiled drumstick-snakegourd mix to it and cook till dry.
- Serve with rice and sambhar.