Idichakka Podithooval (Stir Fry Tender Jack Fruit with Coconut)
Jackfruit tree is abundant in every backyard of kerala homes and the jackfruit season starts from March.In our place, this is called idichakka podithooval and it is prepared using coconut mix and crushed tender jackfruit.This is one of my favorites and it tastes great with rice.
- Idichakka(Tender Jackfruit) – 1
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad daal(uzhunnu parippu) – 1 tsp
- Dry red chilly -3
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil -1 1/2 tbsp
- Remove the thorny outer skin of jackfruit and cut into small cubes.The pieces will be light brownish in color.
- Pressure cook jackfruit pieces with salt and enough water for 2-3 whistles.Once it is cooked,drain the excess water and crush the cooked pieces using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds.Once it is done, add urad dal,dry red chilly and curry leaves.Add the crushed jackfruit pieces to it and stir well. Finally add grated coconut to it.Stir well and cover and cook for few more minutes.
- Serve with Rice .