Tree Of Life ‐ Cauliflower
This is a signature dish of Chef Vikas Khanna and I had read in news long time back that this dish was being served to the President of United states specially for dinner by chef .I was looking for the recipe and finally got it from my blogger friend Mareena.In this recipe, she did some changes to the original one.I followed her recipe and the final outcome was yummy and delicious.This dish is prepared by cutting cauliflower like a tree,then deep fry in oil and serve on top of spicy masala. This is a must try and can be served during parties to surprise the guests.
1.Cauliflower cross section cut in thickness (should look like a tree) 1″
- Ginger-garlic paste -1 tablespoon
- Chilly powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – for deep frying
For the masala
Onion (cut into slices) -1/4 cup
Fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds -1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds -1/2 teaspoon
Nigella seeds(Kalonji) – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Ginger-garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
Green chillies(chopped) – 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Chilly powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dried mango powder (Amchoor) – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Beaten Curd – 1/2 cup
- Cream – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Marinate the cauliflower with the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, chilly powder, oil and salt. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Heat oil in a pan and fry the cauliflower piece wholly, till golden brown. Drain onto an tissue paper and keep aside.If you want, you can bake in an preheated oven at 180 degree c for 15 minutes.
- Heat another pan with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Add the fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida. When they start to crackle, add the onions followed by ginger-garlic paste and chopped green chillies. Saute till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala, amchoor powder and stir for a minute. Add curd & cream and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes.Remove from fire.
- Take a plate and spoon the gravy to the centre of the plate forming a round shape. Carefully place the fried cauliflower tree in the centre.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve hot with Roti or Rice.
Recipe Source:Mareenas Recipe collections