Mangalore Fish Curry/Mangalore Meen Kari
This is a popular dish in the south west coast of India.This is prepared using Fish ,coconut milk and spices.Adding tamarind and coconut milk to the curry enhances the sour taste and richness to the curry.This goes well with rice.
- Fish(Mackerel,pomfret or king fish)- 1 lb
- Onion- 1
- Tomato (chopped) – 1
- Green Chilly(slit open lengthwise) –1
- Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Red masala paste – 1/4 cup
- Tamarind paste – 1 tsp
For red Masala Paste
- Red chilly(Dry) –5
- Coriander seeds-1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds –1/4 tsp
- Peppercorns(black) –1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1”inch
- Garlic – 6
- Ginger(chopped) – 1tsp
- Tamarind paste – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 tbsp
- For red masala paste ,heat oil in a pan on medium heat.Add dry red chilly,coriander seeds,cumin,pepper,cinnamon,fenugreek,ginger and garlic.Roast until aromatic for 5 minutes.Remove from fire.
- Transfer the mix into a mixer.Add coconut,tamarind and turmeric powder to it.Grind the mix into a smooth paste adding water a little at a time.Masala paste is ready.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add curry leaves and chopped onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add chopped tomato,green chilly,salt and red masala paste to it and stir well .Add coconut milk and water to it and bring it to boil.
- Add fish pieces and tamarind paste and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked well.
- while preparing the curry try not to stir too vigorously instead swirl the pan to mix.
- Serve hot with white rice.
Recipe Source:My Indian Kitchen by Hari Nayak.