Methi Fish Curry/Fenugreek Fish Masala
This fish curry is prepared using dried fenugreek leaves in a spicy ,tangy and rich sauce.Few days ago a regular visitor of my blog sent me a message asking me whether you can post the methi fish masala and this is specially for her.Do try this different style of fish masala. I am sure you all will definitely love this.
- Fish (Red snapper,Tilapia or any fleshy fish) – 1/2 kg
- Shallots –10
- Garlic – 10
- Green Chilly – 3
- Ginger(chopped) – 2 tsp
- Tomato(chopped) – 3
- Onion(sliced and fried until golden brown) – 2
- Onion(chopped) -2
- Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder – 3tsp
- Fish curry Masala – 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder (roasted) – 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind Sauce – 1/2 cup
- Dried Fenugreek leaves – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 3 sprigs
- Yogurt –1 1/2 tbsp
- Cream – 1/4 cup
- Water-1 cup
- Marinate fish with turmeric powder,red chilly powder and salt for 10 minutes.Heat oil in a pan and deep fry till golden brown.
- In a blender, make a paste of shallots,garlic,ginger,2 tomatoes,fried and golden brown onion.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan.add chopped onions,1 tomatoes and saute until soft.
- Add ground paste and cook for 5 minutes.Add fish curry masala ,cumin powder and remaining chilly powder and saute well.
- Add salt to taste and tamarind sauce.Bring to a boil and let it cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- In a small pot,bring 1 cup of water to boil.Add dried fenugreek leaves to soften, then strain and discard water.
- Add boiled fenugreek leaves to the simmering sauce.
- Add fried fish and 2 sprigs of coriander leaves.Cook over low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Add cream and yogurt to it and mix well.Stir carefully not to break fish.
- Add remaining coriander leaves. Remove from fire.Allow the curry to stand for 30 minutes before serving with rice or roti.