Aviyal is prepared using mixed vegetable cooked in curd and coconut paste.This cheera aviyal is an easy preparation of Kerala style aviyal using red amaranth leaves,Drumstick,Raw mango,Cucumber and jackfruit seeds.Do try this different variety of aviyal for festivals like onam or vishu.hope you all enjoy it.
- Red Amaranth Leaves(chuvanna cheera,Red spinach) – 2 cups
- Red Amaranth Stem (lengthwise) – 1 cup
- Cucumber (cut lengthwise) – 2 cups
- Jackfruit seeds (Chakkaakuru) (cut lengthwise into two) – 1 cup
- Raw mango(cut lengthwise) – 1 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1 1/2 cup
- Green chilly – 1
- shallots – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan and cook vegetables like cucumber,red spinach stem.jackfruit seeds.Cover with a lid and cook till all veggies are soft.In the mean time, make a coarse paste of grated coconut,red chilly powder ,green chilly,turmeric powder,cumin seeds and shallots.
- once veggies are done,Add spinach leaves to it and cook for only 5 minutes as leafy vegetables takes less time to cook.
- Add mango pieces to it and mix well.Add coconut paste and salt.
- cover and cook on low flame for another 5 minutes. Remove from fire.
- Add coconut oil and curry leaves to it.Mix well.
- Aviyal is ready to serve as side dish for rice or Porridge.
This is a different style of preparing podimas using Fish. I usually make potato podimas for chappathi. when I was searching for some fish recipes the other day, I found this interesting recipe in vanitha pachakam magazine and I wanted to give it a try.This yummy dish goes well with rice.
- Fish(Boneless tilapia fillets,cut into small cubes) – 1/2 kg
- Onion(finely chopped) – 1
- Shallots(finely chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Tomato(cut into small pieces) –1
- Green Chilly(chop into small pieces) – 2
- Dry red chilly -1
- Garam masala powder –1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- kashmiri red Chilly Powder – 2 tsp
- Ginger(Finely chopped) –1 tsp
- Garlic(finely chopped) –1 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp
- urad dal(uzhunnu parippu) –1/2 tsp
- Cury leaves – 1 sprig
- Lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Coconut Oil – 4 tbsp
- Clean and cut fish fillet into small cubes.Marinate fish pieces with 1 tsp red chilly powder,turmeric powder and salt .Keep aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a Manchatti and add marinated fish pieces and 1 tbsp of water to it.cover and cook on low flame till done.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan. splutter mustard seeds.once it is done add urad dal,curry leaves and saute.once the dal changes it s color to light brown,add chopped ginger,garlic and saute well.
- Add green chilly,dry red chilly to it and mix well.
- Add chopped onions,shallots and saute well till onion turns golden brown.add tomato pieces,garam masala powder, 1 tbsp red chilly powder,1 tbsp oil and mix well.
- once it is fried well, add cooked fish pieces to it and mix gently to get fully coated with masala.while stirring,take care not to crush the fish pieces.
- cover and cook for 1 minute.Remove from fire.Finally add lemon juice on top of the masala.
- Fish podimas is ready to serve with rice.
This is a healthy preparation of salmon marinated in spicy green sauce and baked.hope all seafood lovers will definitely love this.
- Salmon(clean and cut into medium pieces) – 1 lb.
- Yogurt- 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
For Green Paste
- Ginger- 1/2 “ piece
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green chilly –4
- Coriander leaves/Cilantro(chopped) –1/2 cup
- Onion(cut into slices) –1/2
- Mint leaves/Pudina (chopped) – 7
- Clove – 4
- Cinnamons tick – 1” piece
- Black peppercorns – 4
- Remove the outer skin of salmon.cut into medium pieces. Dry the pieces in a paper towel before marinating.
- In a blender add all the ingredients listed under green masala and grind it into a smooth paste.
- In a bowl, add salmon pieces,turmeric powder,cumin powder,coriander powder,and salt and mix well .
- Add yogurt,lemon juice, green paste to it and mix well so that the masala coats well with the salmon pieces.
- Marinate fish in refrigerator for about 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.Line a baking tray with aluminum foil and arrange the fish pieces.
- Brush the salmon pieces with little oil.Bake them on one side for about 15 minutes. once one side is done,turn over and bake again for another 15 minutes.It depends upon the type of oven you use for baking.
- Serve as starter or as side dish for rice.