Puli inji is made with ginger,tamarind,jaggery in sweet and tangy sauce. This is a popular kerala sadhya dish and commonly served in sadhya during festivals like Onam,Vishu or wedding functions.I tried once and it didn’t came out good. Then I watched the youtube video of my blogger friend veena with detailed explanation and followed her recipe.Hope my readers will love this easy recipe and try at home.
- Ginger(finely chopped) – 150gms
- Green Chilly(cut into round pieces) – 4
- Tamarind – 3 lemon sized
- Jaggery cubes(make syrup) – 3 medium size cubes
- Mustard seeds – 1tbsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 3
- Red chilly powder – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coconut Oil
- peel off the outer skin of ginger and cut into long pieces. Then finely grate into small pieces .Take water in a bowl, add sat to it and soak the ginger pieces in1 tbsp of salt water for 10 minutes.Drain the water using strainer and again soak in salt water for 10 minutes.Drain and repeat the same soaking process for 10 minutes. This is to avoid ginger getting sticky while frying.
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes. strain the water.
- In a pressure cooker, Add tamarind water,red chilly powder,turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.cover and cook on low flame for 20 minutes.
- In a pan,melt jaggery cubes. take care not to let the syrup be thick.
- Heat oil in a pan.Roast ginger pieces on medium flame till crispy and light brown.Drain the ginger pieces.Crush half quantity of fried ginger pieces in a blender.
- Heat oil in a pan.Splutter mustard seeds,Dry red chilly,green chilly,curry leaves,tamarind water and stir well.Add 1/4 cup water,jaggery water(add according to sweetness),crushed ginger,remaining fried ginger pieces and mix well.Let it boil on medium flame till thick and reduced to half.
- Once it is cool, it will be more thicker.Transfer into a dry glass jar and store in refrigerator for a week or so.
- You can make this in advance for vishu or onam and can preserve it.
- injipuli tastes great with Rice.
Brownie Butter Cake is my kid’s favorite and this is a yummy treat for chocolate lovers.This is a combo of brownie and butter cake.
For Making Brownie
- Dark Chocolate(broken into pieces) – 140 gms
- Butter(unsalted) – 1/4 cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Egg –1
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1/4 cup
For Butter Cake
- Butter(unsalted) –1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Eggs – 2
- All purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder –1/4 tsp
- Fresh Milk – 50 ml/3 1/2 tbsp
- Grease and line a loaf pan with aluminium foil.Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- To make brownie,melt chocolate and butter on low flame.Remove from fire and leave it to cool.Stir in brown sugar until blended.
- Add egg and mix well.Fold in flour,gently to get combined well.
- Pour the prepared batter into the baking pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time,we can make batter for butter cake.Take a bowl and add butter and sugar and beat well until creamy.Add eggs one at a time while beating.
- Fold in sifted flour and baking powder into the mix.Add fresh milk to get a nice batter.
- Once brownies are done ,remove from oven and spread the butter cake batter over hot brownie.Butter cake batter will melt instantly.
- Before putting into the oven,Just tap the pan to get evenly spread and smooth on top.
- Bake at 320f/160c for 25- 30 minutes.To check the doneness of the cake,insert a toothpick in the Centre and if it comes out clean it is done.
- cut into desired pieces and serve.
This is a quick and easy spicy chicken dish with less ingredients available in your pantry.This recipe is adapted from a cookery show and because of the interesting dish name I wanted to give it a try. Adding shallots and Coconut oil gives good flavor and extra taste. This goes well with rice or roti.
- Chicken(cut into cubes) – 1/2 kg
- Shallots(chopped ,25 nos) – 1 cup
- Ginger –garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Green Chilly – 6
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Tomato – 2
- Curry leaves – 10 leaves
- Coconut oil – 1/2 cup
- In a bowl add all the ingredients except tomato pieces and mix well using hand.
- Heat a wide bottomed pan and transfer the mix to it. Don’t add water.cover and cook on low flame till chicken pieces are cooked well ..you can use dry red chilly instead of green chilly if you like.
- Finally add tomato pieces to it and mix well. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes to get mixed well the masala.
- Serve with rice or roti.