Chicken Ghee Roast is a popular delicacy of Mangalore.when I was looking for a authentic recipe in Google,I came across this yummy chicken ghee roast recipe on sailus food.Adding ghee enhances the flavor and this is a must try for chicken lovers.This is spicy and can be served with rice,ghee rice,fried rice or Roti.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Yogurt(thick) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice –1 tbsp
- Dry red chilly – 10
- Black peppercorns –8
- Cloves –3
- Fenugreek seeds-a pinch
- Coriander seeds –1 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic flakes –8
- Tamarind Paste-1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery or sugar– 2 tsp
- Ghee –6 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Marinate chicken in curd,turmeric powder,lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.Keep in refrigerator overnight.
- Heat a pan and dry roast red chillies on low flame and take care not to get burned.Remove from fire.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp of ghee and roast fenugreek seeds,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,cloves and peppercorns on low flame for 2-3 minutes.Remove from fire and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted red chillies and spices with garlic and tamarind into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook on medium flame till it is 3/4th cooked.
- Remove the sauteed chicken pieces and keep aside.Transfer the liquid into another bowl.
- Heat remaining ghee in the same pan.Add the ground paste and saute on medium flame for 5-7 minutes till ghee separates.
- Add the chicken pieces to it and mix well.Also add the leftover liquid(while cooking chicken)and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till chicken is coated with masala.Once it is cooked well, open the lid and dry roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves.Serve with rice or roti
Chicken Bezule is quite popular in Karnataka and sold in the streets of coastal areas like Mangalore.This is prepared using boneless chicken pieces.This can be served as a perfect cocktail party appetizer.This recipe is adapted from vahrehvah.com.
- Chicken(boneless,cut into small pieces) – 500 gms
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves – 1 bunch
- Green chilly – 5
- Ginger – 1 “ piece
- Garlic cloves – 6
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilly powder – 2 tbsp
- Rice flour – 1 1/2 tbsp
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Curd – 1 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
- Grind curry leaves,coriander leaves,ginger garlic,green chilly into a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste into a bowl and add chilly powder,garam masala powder,rice flour,maida,lemon juice,curd, salt and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to it and mix well.Marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan.Deep fry till both sides are brown in color.
- The actual recipe calls for red food color to get a nice red color.but i didn’t add it.
- Garnish with fried curry leaves and green chilly.
- serve hot as appetizer or cocktail snack.
If you are tired of making the same old fish curry or fish thoran, try this stir fried spicy fish roast.This is quick and easy to make and goes well with rice as side dish.
- Fish(boneless) – 250 gms
- Onion –1
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Green Chilly – 3
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Vinegar – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder –1/4 tsp
- Red Chilly Powder –1 tsp
- Coriander powder –2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut bits (thengakothu) – 1/4 cup
For Marinating fish
- Ginger-garlic paste –2 tsp
- Vinegar – 1tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
- Pepper powder – 1tsp
- red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Rice flour – 1 tbsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut Oil
- Marinate fish with the above ingredients listed for marinating.Keep in the refrigerator for 1- 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry fish pieces.
- In the same pan,add 2 tbsp of oil.Saute coconut bits.once it is light brown in color, add chopped onion,ginger-garlic paste ,curry leaves,green chilly and saute well.
- Add turmeric powder,chilly powder,coriander powder and stir well not to get burned.Add vinegar to it.
- Add fried fish pieces and curry leaves to it.Mix well.Add 1/4 cup of water and stir well.Cover and cook till dry.
- Finally add pepper powder to it.
- Remove from fire and serve warm with rice as side dish.
Recipe Source:Ammachiyude Adukkala.