This curry is prepared using brinjal and prawns in a less spicy masala. it goes well with Rice or Roti.
- Brinjal(cut into medium thin slices) – 5
- Prawns – 250 gms
- Cumin seeds – 3/4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 1/4 tbsp
- Green Chilly –2
- Garlic – 4
- Ginger – 1/2 “ piece
- Tomato (cut into medium pieces) – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Heat oil in a pan and fry brinjal pieces till both sides are light brown.strain and keep aside.
- In the same oil fry prawn pieces(don’t over cook prawns as prawn tend to be rubbery) till golden brown.
- Make a paste of 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds,1 tbsp mustard seeds,green chilly ,garlic and ginger.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in another pan.Splutter 1/4 tbsp mustard seeds,curry leaves and 1/4 tbsp cumin seeds. once it is done,add the paste to it and saute well.
- Add tomato pieces and fry well. once tomatoes are all done, add turmeric powder and salt to it. Stir well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water(if you want more curry, u can add more water) to it and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove from fire.Serve with rice.
Rasmalai is a sweet dish popular in west Bengal and it is made using paneer balls and then immersed in rich and sweet creamy milk…so this is a perfect sweet dish to try for this Diwali season.
- Paneer – 200 gms
- Milk – 500 ml
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Condensed milk – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Pistachios ( chopped) – 8
- Almonds(chopped) – 8
- cardamom pods(peeled and crushed) – 6
- Saffron strands- a pinch
- Grate paneer cubes and grind well in a blender.Remove from the blender and knead well using hand.Once it is soft and smooth,make small balls out of it.Then flatten into thick disc like shape and keep aside.
- In a wide pan, Boil 2 cups of water along with sugar and 2-3 cardamom pods.Once it starts to boil and sugar dissolves,drop the balls slowly into the syrup and cover and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame. After 10 minutes you can check and see if it is cooked on one side.then gently flip to the other side using a spoon.After15 minutes The paneer balls will be double in size and spongy by then.
- Remove the balls from the syrup and using a spoon ,squeeze each ball to remove the sugar syrup from the rasgullas.Keep aside.
- Do take care not to overcrowd the pan with too many balls.Also if it is not cooked properly,it will break easily.
- For making thickened milk,boil 500 ml of milk in a sauce pan and add 2 tbsp of sugar, cardamom pods,a pinch of saffron stand into it.Once it starts to boil, lower the flame and stir occasionally till the milk reduces to half.
- Add condensed milk,chopped pistachios,chopped almonds to it and finally add the rasgulla balls to it and cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Remove from flame.Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron strands.
- You can refrigerate for a maximum of 4- 5 days.
- Serve chilled.
Today I am going to share an easy and delicious recipe of Paneer and Capsicum in a thick gravy.This goes well with roti,Naan or Bread.
- Paneer(cottage cheese,cut into cubes) – 250 gms
- Capsicum/Bell pepper – 2
- Tomato (chopped) – 2
- Onion(chopped) – 2
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Garlic(chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Dry Red Chilly (make a paste) – 3
- Cumin seeds/Jeerakam – 1 tbsp
- Ginger(cut lengthwise) – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala – 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori Methi powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- soak dry red chilly in little water for sometime. Make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.splutter cumin seeds and once it starts to brown,add chopped onion and saute well.
- Add chopped ginger,ginger-garlic paste,chilly paste,tomato chopped and mix well.
- Add capsicum pieces(you can add different colored capsicum if you like),garam masala ,salt and stir well to get coated with the masala.
- Finally add paneer cubes ,salt ,kasoori methi powder and mix gently.Stir cook on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from fire.Garnish with coriander leaves.