As India is celebrating 68th year of independence on August 15th, here I am celebrating with a Tri color halwa for my readers.
- Semolina/sooji/ Rava – 1 cup
- Ghee – 3/4 cup
- Sugar- 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- salt – a pinch
- Orange color – 3 drops
- Green Color – 3 drops
- Heat ghee in a wide bottomed pan. Add semolina and fry on low flame till u get a nice aroma.
- In the meantime boil water.Once semolina is done add boiled water to it and still well to avoid lumps.
- stir continously till all the water is absorbed.Add sugar and salt to it.I always add a pinch of salt while making any sweet dishes.
- Mix well and stir till u get a halwa consistency.
- switch off the flame.
- Divide halwa mixture into 3 bowls.mix green color in one,orange color in second and third one is white.
- Take a pan greased with ghee.put the green mix first and flatten it evenly using the back of spoon.
- Then put the one without any color and do the same as above. Finally put the orange mix and flatten it evenly.
- Let it cool for sometime.cut into desired shapes.
- If you want you can add nuts and raisins.
This is prepared using chicken and curry leaves in a spicy masala.Adding curry leaves enhance the flavor and for spiciness only pepper and green chilly are used.This goes well with rice or roti.
- Chicken(cut into cubes)– 1/2 kg
- Onion(chopped) – 1
- Ginger(crushed) – 1 tbsp
- Garlic(crushed) – 6
- Green Chilly – 4
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tbsp
- Coriander powder –1/2 tbsp
- Yogurt-3 tbsp
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 5 sprigs
For Garam Masala
- Peppercorns – 1tbsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1”
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tbsp
- Star anise –1
- Cardamom pods – 6
- Heat a pan.Saute curry leaves on low flame till it changes its color and crispy.transfer into a bowl and keep aside.
- In the same pan,add ingredients listed for the garam masala and saute for a minute on low flame.don’t let it burn.
- Grind the mix together with crispy curry leaves into a coarse powder.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add chopped onion,ginger,garlic,green chilly (you can add chilly according to your spiciness)and saute till onion turns light brown.
- Add turmeric powder,coriander powder to it and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add chicken pieces,curry leaves powder mix,yogurt ,salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till chicken is cooked well and masala is coated well with chicken.
- Turn off the flame.Garnish with curry leaves
- serve as side dish with rice or roti.
Recipe source: Mia Kitchen
Chicken chukka is easy and yummy to make with the available ingredients in kitchen and goes well with rice or roti.
- Chicken – 1/2 kg
- Grated Coconut –1/2 cup
- Garlic – 20
- Dry red chilly –10
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pepper corns –1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds –1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds –1 tsp
- Onion(chopped) – 1
- Poppy seeds(kuskus) –1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1’ inch piece
- Cloves –2
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Ghee – 3tbsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan.Roast coriander seeds,dry red chilly,pepper,garlic(15),poppy seeds,cinnamon stick,cloves,fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp cumin seeds,1/4 tsp chopped onion and turmeric powder for 2-3 minutes on low flame.Grind it into a paste.
- Heat ghee in a pan.Add cinnamon stick,chopped onion and let it saute.
- In the mean time,Heat oil in another pan .Add grated coconut,cumin seeds,5 garlic to ti and roast it.Grind it to a fine paste.
- Once onion turns light brown,add chicken,3/4th of the spice paste and salt to it.Mix well. Cover and cook without adding water.
- Once chicken is well cooked,add the coconut paste and remaining spice paste to it.Add curry leaves to it.Stir well.
- Roast till all water is evaporated and chicken is dry.
- Serve with rice or roti.