This is the first post of 2015 and I wish all my readers a prosperous new year ahead.This recipe is adapted from Kairali TV cookery show long time back.This dish is served in “five star Thattukada” Restaurant in Manathavady.This spicy and yummy chicken dish goes well with rice.
- Chicken –500 gms
- Egg –1
- Corn flour –1 tbsp
- Chat masala – 1 tsp
- Chicken tandoori Masala – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Potato(Medium) – 1
- Carrot –1
- capsicum –1
- Coconut bits(thengakothu) – 2tbsp
- Ginger(chopped) – 1tsp
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Onion(chopped) –1
- Red chilly sauce –1 tbsp
- Green chilly Sauce- 1 tbsp
- Shallots(cut into round pieces) –5
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder- 1tbsp
- Tomato(chopped) -1
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – to garnish
- Make a batter with ingredients numbered 2 to 5 and marinate chicken pieces in it and keep aside for 2 hours.
- Cut vegetables lengthwise. cook veggies with little water in microwave on high power for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for frying,Fry chicken pieces till half cooked.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in another pan.Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. once it is done add chopped onions, ginger, garlic,chopped tomatoes and saute well.
- Add boiled vegetables,coconut bits,red chilly sauce,turmeric powder,pepper powder,shallots and saute well.
- Finally add fried chicken pieces to it and stir well and let it coat with the masala.
- Add curry leaves and coriander leaves to it and mix well.Remove from fire.
- Serve with rice or roti.
I Wish all my readers a happy Christmas.I made these yummy chocolate pinwheel cookies for my kids instead of baking a cake for this Christmas.;-)
- Butter – 150gms
- Sugar-3/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract-1 tsp
- Maida/All purpose flour –1 3/4 cups
- Baking powder-1/4 tsp
- salt-1/4 tsp
- Almond flour-1/3 cup
- Cocoa powder-1/4 cup
- Melt butter in a microwave for 5 seconds.
- In a bowl,Add sugar and butter to get combined well.
- Add egg and vanilla extract to it and beat well.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder.Then Add it along with salt and mix well to get a dough.Lightly knead using hand to form a dough.Cut it in to halves.
- To one half ,add almond flour to it and mix well.To the other half,add cocoa powder and mix well to form a dough.
- On a sheet of waxed paper, roll out half of the vanilla dough into a rectangle roughly 7 inches by 8 inches. Do the same for other half of the chocolate dough.
- Keep in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator.Place the vanilla layer on top of the chocolate one and align.
- Lightly press by gently running your rolling pin on the surface to remove any air pockets and ensure both are adhered.Starting with the short end facing you, tightly roll the dough into a log.If the outer dough cracks,let it soften for a few minutes and roll.
- Wrap the log tightly with baking paper and keep it in the fridge for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.The dough should be firm.
- Once it is ready to bake,slightly thaw the dough so that you can cut nicely using sharp knife.Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper allowing each cookie enough space to expand.
- Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10 –12 minutes.
Chicken Ghee Roast is a popular delicacy of Mangalore.when I was looking for a authentic recipe in Google,I came across this yummy chicken ghee roast recipe on sailus food.Adding ghee enhances the flavor and this is a must try for chicken lovers.This is spicy and can be served with rice,ghee rice,fried rice or Roti.
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Yogurt(thick) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder –1/2 tsp
- Lemon Juice –1 tbsp
- Dry red chilly – 10
- Black peppercorns –8
- Cloves –3
- Fenugreek seeds-a pinch
- Coriander seeds –1 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Garlic flakes –8
- Tamarind Paste-1/2 tbsp
- Jaggery or sugar– 2 tsp
- Ghee –6 tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Marinate chicken in curd,turmeric powder,lemon juice and 1/2 tsp of salt.Keep in refrigerator overnight.
- Heat a pan and dry roast red chillies on low flame and take care not to get burned.Remove from fire.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp of ghee and roast fenugreek seeds,cumin seeds,coriander seeds,cloves and peppercorns on low flame for 2-3 minutes.Remove from fire and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted red chillies and spices with garlic and tamarind into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsp of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook on medium flame till it is 3/4th cooked.
- Remove the sauteed chicken pieces and keep aside.Transfer the liquid into another bowl.
- Heat remaining ghee in the same pan.Add the ground paste and saute on medium flame for 5-7 minutes till ghee separates.
- Add the chicken pieces to it and mix well.Also add the leftover liquid(while cooking chicken)and jaggery and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes.Add salt to taste and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low flame till chicken is coated with masala.Once it is cooked well, open the lid and dry roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves.Serve with rice or roti